The new triple drug for CF has been approved! You can read the FDA article here. It is supposed to help about 90% of the CF population. It is for my CF mutations (double delta f508). The name of it is Trikafta (elexacaftor/ivacaftor/tezacaftor). I can’t help but to think trifecta when I see the name…haha. Continue reading
Today was CF clinic day. It was my normal 3 month check up that turned into a hospital/IV follow up. It seems to happen that way most of the time. I have dropped the prednisone weight I gained which I’m happy about because 5 pounds in one week was a bit much…haha. No worries, I am not losing weight per se, I just had gained weight from being on high doses of prednisone. I am just fine in the weight department. Continue reading
I got home around noon today from the hospital which is record time for a release. It helped that I didn’t have to wait for my IV antibiotics to be delivered to me at the hospital. They delivered them to the house which is nice. Let me recap the stay for ya… Continue reading
I got in my room this afternoon and had the usual work up. However my port wanted to cause issue and not draw back (no blood return). They have placed a clot buster in the line and now we wait an hour to see if it worked. Having a port is a blessing for the simple fact that you can have all your labs drawn out of it along with doing all your IVs through it. Continue reading
Today I had a check up since I’m not feeling better after 6 days of IV antibiotics. My lung function was down again to .88L/31% FEV1. I started a prednisone taper on Tuesday, starting at 60mg for 3 days, 40mg for 3 days, 20mg for 3 days then 10mg for 3 days. I was hoping that the taper would help with the wheezing and chest tightness, so far it’s a no go. We decided that if I am not better over the weekend I am to call my nurse to be admitted. They want to add Colistin to my IV antibiotics but want to start it inpatient because of the history of kidney problems with it. There was that one time that my creatinine shot up to 7.0 with the normal range is up to 1.1. Therefore we have to watch it every time I’m on it or any IV antibiotics for that matter. So I will take the weekend to rest, do lots of treatments and hydrate and hope I feel better. However I kinda feel like I am prolonging the inevitable of an admission. Might need the heavy hitters to knock this one out. I’ll update next week.
Until next time…
I tried the oral antibiotics route and it didn’t help. I’ve been on them for about a week and a half. All they have done is make for a yucky tummy. With that said, I called my nurse for IV antibiotics. I haven’t felt good for too long. It’s always hard to tell if it’s a new normal or if I’m actually sick sick. So I’m looking at this one as I’m sick. I will be doing IV Zosyn every 6 hours for 14 days. I will go tomorrow morning to get my port accessed and to get labs drawn for a baseline. They also want an x-ray. So I will be walking all over the hospital. I’ve also been having bowel movement problems, as in not going. You would think that with both strong antibiotics in my system I would be going non stop. My body like to not do things the suggested way. haha. I am drinking lots of miralax to combat the problem, which is no fun. I hope to update in 2 weeks that I am feeling better.
Until next time…
Just a reminder about my www.COTAforShannonM.com fundraising link for medical/transplant expenses. There is a fundraiser in the works for you Kansas City folks. More to come on that.
Hey all! It’s been a little while since I have updated. I have not been feeling well for a few weeks. I have been coughing more, especially at night. I went for lung functions and to give a sputum sample today. My lung function is down just a tad. My FEV1 was .95L/33%, down from 35%. That’s the amount of air that I can push out in the first second after taking in a big deep breath. Which basically means I’m using 33% of my lung capacity. Continue reading
Click HERE to read the article that came out yesterday stating that the new triple combo drug for CF has been accepted by the FDA. This is big news for the CF community. There are 2 other newer drugs called Orkambi and, the newest, Symdeko as well. This new drug is another step in the right direction. I qualify for it because I have 2 copies of the delta f508 mutation. Supposedly it should help about 90% of the CF community. Continue reading
Today I had CF clinic. It was an all around good visit. Sometimes I hate saying that I feel “good” because I know it won’t last forever. First up was lung functions. My FEV1 was 35%/.98L which is pretty much the same as last time. My weight was stable at 123 and my pulse ox was 95%. I met with the whole team of folks and was sent on my way. Can’t complain there. The pulled muscle I had FOREVER is finally better. Short and sweet update!
Until next time…
Still fundraising for transplant at www.COTAforShannonM.com. Thank you for everyone that has already donated, it is greatly appreciated.