Trip to KC

This is probably going to be ALL over the place so bear with me and enjoy the ride…haha  Let me pick up after my last clinic appointment…

We headed to Kansas City the last weekend of July/first weekend of August for my husbands 20 year high school reunion.  It stated off as a super short trip.  Flying in on Friday afternoon and flying home Sunday morning.  I decided to change my return flight so I could stay in KC to help my mom after her most recent hospital stay and to squeeze in helping my dad get situated in their new house.  I also set up as many lunch/dinner dates and “swing by” visits that I could with friends.  Since we aren’t back in KC that often we try to squeeze everything in that we can.  I never want to sound like I’m royalty or sound snooty by saying that “there is one of me/us and lots of you,” meaning we wish we could see everyone but that’s a lot of people!  Therefore I/we try to set up a central place for lunch, dinner or drinks and say this is where I/we will be if you are wanting to see us/me.  I have a hard time saying it that way because I don’t want anyone to take it as though I think I think I am better than someone and that everyone else’s time doesn’t matter because it does.  

The reunion was a lot of fun.  My older brother was in my husband’s class and his younger brother was in my class, so we have known each other for a long time.  I’m still in awe of where we are in life.  You would have never known that we would end up together 20-25 year ago.  No complaints here!  We reconnected in 2006 via MySpace of all places and here we are today.  I still smile every time I tell the story.  We reconnected after his 15 year reunion so when we showed up together at this reunion some were surprised.  I was always my brother’s “little sister.”  I didn’t seem to have a name…haha.  Plus we were known as Hook and Little Hook, so the little sister part was kind of a given.  It was so good getting to see so many that I hadn’t seen in a long time and it wasn’t even my reunion.  haha  I guess that’s what happens when you pester your older brother and all his friends, they become your friends later in life.

I had my week in KC all planned out, or at least I thought.  My niece had an emergency appendectomy while I was there.  I’m so glad I was there for her and my sister but hate that she had to go through it.  I told her she was stronger than aunt Shannon because she powered through all the pain and did what the nurses asked of her, after getting pain meds on board of course.  She went home the next day and is doing well just in time for school to start.

As planned, I was able to help my mom out quite a bit.  My mom has severe COPD and has been hospitalized multiple times over the last year.  She hasn’t been able to work much let alone keep up with housework so I had my work cut out for me which I’m fine with.  Here is what I can remember doing… organized bathrooms and closets while getting rid of old/expired things and things that were no longer needed.  I went through the fridge, freezer and pantry and was able to leave them all up to date foods and condiments.  I inventoried the deep freeze so they knew what they were working with when planning meals.  I gave the dog a bath.  I drove “Miss Daisy” around a bit to the grocery store and pharmacy.  I went to a doctor’s appointment with her.    I’m very happy I was able to be there and get all of those things done for her.  Hopefully she gets stronger and can maintain it.  She of course wants me to come back every 3 months to do it again.  haha

Next up was dad’s house.  I was able to help them organize their kitchen, pantry and bathrooms.  We were able to empty some boxes and hang a few pictures.  I had to get up at 4am to get to the airport in time for my flight.  What was I thinking getting the early flight so that it wouldn’t be delayed.  haha  Needless to say when my husband picked me up in Nashville I was ready for a nap.  I’m not normally a care sleeper but my eyes would not stay open.  I ended up taking 2 naps that day not counting the cat nap in the car.  I was worn out.

Both of my parents have health problems and have had to make big decisions recently in hopes to maintain health or to make life a little easier.  I am there as their biggest cheerleader as they always have been for me and to help them any way I can.  This time it was my organizing skills that they needed.

Now for a health update on me… We have always said that my lungs don’t like the east TN climate but I’ll tell you that I coughed A LOT while I was in KC and needed extra treatments.  I think these lungs of mine may have adapted to TN after all.  I have been having a lot of wheezing and tightness, not constant.  I’ve been coughing up darker thick stuff and had some blood a few days ago.  I’m over this coughing thing.  I’m hoping that whatever this is goes away because I have only been off of IVs for 9 weeks.

Lastly, Thursday I received some heartbreaking news.  An old friend of mine (went to junior high and high school together) died in a motorcycle accident.  He most likely was going too fast and lost control and/or over corrected.  He was not wearing a helmet.  There is no helmet law in Kansas.  He has a 9-year-old daughter.  It just plain sucks.  If you think about it say a prayer for Madison as she now has to grow up without her dad.  RIP Tyson.

I think that sums up the last 3 or so weeks.

Until next time…

2 thoughts on “Trip to KC

  1. Holy cow Shannon…
    Firstly, TRY to slow down a bit
    2ndly, didnt know you moved to TN and it does seem, when driving back home, that around st louis, i can smell kc. Not a bad thing… Just can smell the flowers of home i guess..(really) … Like how i can smell the ocean in the way back when i hit statesville, NC (right out of the mountains)..
    Didnt know mom and dad werent together… Im so sorry honey.
    Im trying to catch up but ive missed something- 9 weeks off IVS??? Email me
    And visit my
    Whole new life here too…
    Sicker than ever with SOD AND CONTINUOUS ACUTE PANCREATITIS, (really killing me now) but i LOVE helping the newbie pankiers!!! Write soon or friend me on fb
    Carolyn dianne fuller-nunes

    • I keep going until I can’t. Then I rest. Then I go again! That’s just how I roll. haha Yes I moved to Knoxville, TN 2 years ago. My husband is in the Air Force and we are stationed here. Yep, mom and dad divorced in 2001. I finished my last round of IV antibiotics on June 12th. Hoping to stretch out the time in between as long as I can. Not that I will wait too long but that I want more time “well” in between rounds of IV antibiotics. Thank for following me and checking in on me! Love ya!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s